For those of you looking forward to a high-speed Internet access on your computers, you are in the right place. For the team with Windows XP and Help suggests a very simple solution, subscribe to service from your cable television provider.
Now, in understanding the reason behind it, the team explains that high-speed internet from a cable provider allows you to receive service through the same connections normally used for a cable television. Moreover, upon subscribing, the provider activates the service to your home and sends a cable modem in connecting to one of the already existing coax outlets in your home.
After the cable modem has been installed, an Ethernet cable is then employed to configure the connection to the modem and then to your computer.
(NOTE: Accessing the internet from the computer plugged into the modem requires that it be configured for cable Internet access)
Therefore, in getting on with our article and the task at hand, you can very well set up the same for your connection by following the Windows XP Help guide given below.
Configuring your Windows XP for Cable Modem
The steps are as follows:
- To begin with, the team first suggests that you exit all programs and applications that might still be up and running on your computer for maximum system performance.
- Following which, head for Windows “Start” menu then select “Settings” and click on the “Control Panel” link. Double click on the “Network and Internet Connections” options from the resulting Control Panel window.
- Select “Network Connections” followed by the option “Create a new connection” from the Network Tasks pane.
- Click “Next” once the Network Connection Wizard launches.
- Next up, select the radio button next to “Connect to the Internet,” and then click on “Next“.
- Select “Set up my connection manually” and click “Next“.
(NOTE: For users with cable modems, choose the option “Connect using a broadband connection that is always on”)
- Now enter the Internet Service Provider name for the cable company provided to you when you had first signed up. Click “Next” to continue.
- Also, enter your user name and password that the cable company had provided. Confirm the password by typing it in a second time. Click “Next” to proceed.
- Finally, click on “Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop” followed by “Finish” to complete the process and to close the setup wizard.
This successfully completes our Windows XP Help guide.