At times, while working on your Windows XP operating system, you might encounter an error with code 28. Microsoft Help and support team informs that “Code 28 The drivers for this device are not installed” shows up when the Windows Sound System Compatible Driver for Windows 2000 operating system has been removed upon the upgrade to Windows XP. You can resolve this error code by installing the particular driver through device manager. The process of doing this is not a complicated one, it will take only a few minutes to complete. This article contains step by step instructions for resolving this error.
Windows XP Help and Guide
Given below are the instructions as suggested by the Windows XP Help team in helping you with getting rid of Error Code 28 from your Windows XP computer:
- Start off with this procedure by clicking on the Windows “Start” button for bringing up the start menu. This is the button located on the bottom left-hand corner of your desktop with Microsoft logo on it.
- Continue with this procedure by selecting “Settings” from the start menu.
- Click on the option which says “Control Panel” from the settings sub-menu.
- Make sure that your control panel is in category view, if it’s not, just click on the link which titled “Switch to category” located on the left side of the window.
- Now click on the option which says “Performance and Maintenance”.
- Click on the option labeled “System” from the “Performance and Maintenance” window.
- Go to the tab titled “Hardware”.
- Click on the button labeled “Device Manager”. This will open up the device manager of your computer.
- Click on the option “Sound, Video and Game Controllers”.
- Locate and double click on the device that is responsible for the error code 28, in most cases it should be Windows Sound System Compatible Driver, also known as the WDM driver. This will bring up a drop-down menu.
- Choose the option “Update” and an Update wizard will guide you through the installation of a new device driver, which will prevent the error code from showing up on Windows XP.
That’s all with the instructions for fixing error code 28 in Windows XP operating system. Thanks for your time!